I decided to jazz up my front door - which was white steel. I found a few D.I.Y. makeovers on pinterest that I gained inspiration and tips from during my research phase.
This is what I started with.
I then painted the door a burnt orange color for the base color.
I used gel stain called "Early American" for the first coat. I also purchased a wood graining tool to get a realistic wood appearance.
I went over the "Early American" stain with darker gel stain and when the staining was complete I sealed it with a satin polyurethane.
Here is a before and after of the inside of the door.
I also used this technique on the outside of the door.