Sunday, September 25, 2016

Entry Bench Makeover

I had been scouring craigslist for a bench I could use in the entry way of my home. I found this winner for $20 and decided to tackle this project.

Once I got it home I began the stripping/sanding process. It took a while to first strip the paint and then sand the remaining finish off. This is what it looked like after all that was done.

I started staining the piece with "Early American" gel stain. I did 2 coats of that and then 2 coats with a darker gel stain to richen it up.

Here's the finished product! I did 2 coats of water-based polyurethane to seal it for every day use.

Home Decor DIYs

Some D.I.Y projects I did for our home.

I based this idea on this tutorial I found on Pinterest.

I based this project on this tutorial I found on Pinterest.  I did end up having to buy magnetic tape that could stretch the entire length of the wood piece. When I used just a couple small magnetics on the wood strip they were not strong enough to hold my art work.

Refinished Floors

We deiced to refinish the hardwood floors in our house. They were previously carpeted - so we ripped up the carpet and got to work on first cleaning the floors, then sanding and sealing them. 

What we found when we ripped up the carpet. Eeeeeekkk! I was a bit overwhelmed when I saw this.


What they looked like after we hand-scrubbed the spots off.

Let the sanding begin! We rented the sander from Home Depot and went over the floors with 3 different grits of sand paper before we started the sealing process. 

The finished product! we are very happy with how they turned out and can't believe the previous owner covered these beauties up with carpet.

Gel Stain Door

I decided to jazz up my front door - which was white steel. I found a few D.I.Y. makeovers on pinterest that I gained inspiration and tips from during my research phase.

This is what I started with.

I then painted the door a burnt orange color for the base color.

I used gel stain called "Early American" for the first coat. I also purchased a wood graining tool to get a realistic wood appearance.

I went over the "Early American" stain with darker gel stain and when the staining was complete I sealed it with a satin polyurethane. 

Here is a before and after of the inside of the door. 

I also used this technique on the outside of the door.

Monday, July 4, 2016

Rainbow of Joy

One of my friends is expecting her first baby in August. They found out it is going to be a girl. I wanted to utilize the numerous scraps of fabric I had accumulated over the past few years of sewing so I came up with a rainbow themed color scheme and pieced it together. The center of the quilt has hand embroidered details that I had sketched and then stitched. It's a color explosion that I hope the little girl gets a lot of use out of. 

Bouncing Baby Girl

My close friends welcomed their 2nd baby girl into the world in March and this is the quilt I made for her.

Sunday, December 6, 2015

Whale of a Tale

I made a quilt for our friends who are welcoming their first baby into the world in February. The nursery is nautical/whale themed so I came up with a custom creation to coordinate with the decor. I gave it to them during the baby shower and they were thrilled with the quilt.